Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Six Personal Travel Insights

I've had the privilege to travel three continents, seven different countries, and at least half of the states of America. I've done this as family vacations, trips with friends, study abroad, as a child, adult, and somewhere in-between. I've seen some of the world wonders, and some of the poorest third world countries. I've met so many incredible, life changing individuals who I still am in contact with to this day. I've learned how to take each and every good and bad travel experience to enhance my next trip, and to apply those life lessons back in small-town Iowa. So what exactly have I learned?

1. Ask my parents- EUROS ARE NOT, IN FACT, THE SAME AS MONOPOLY MONEY DOLLARS. I should have taken advantage of the exchange rate app in my International Travel App Blog. Although I came home from Europe in the summer of 2012 broker than a joke, I cannot say that I regret a single euro spent. I got the opportunity to see amazing places, do exciting and daring things, as well as try out one too many new restaurants and mysterious foods.

2. Be as friendly and open to new people and new cultures (even if that culture wears utterly terrifying outfits) as you can without getting "Taken". You'll see new outlooks on the way you live your life, make life-long friendships, and uncover travel/local-city secrets. Thank goodness for Skype and social media for allowing me the chance to keep in touch with these individuals. God forbid I would actually have to mail a letter :).


3. No matter how detailed you coordinate your trips, you will still have delays in transportation. I missed numerous buses, planes, and trains due to delays or strikes. While getting utterly lost, dead-sprinting through foreign airports, and losing luggage is an experience I think we all need at some point- taking advantage of real-time travel apps could've saved so much frustration. Kayak from my Domestic Travel App Blog, for example, can track your luggage, flights, and map out most airports.



4. Take the cool, fun pictures of every single angle of everything you encounter. But, don't let it detract from your experience taking in the beauty and history. We can get so caught up in getting the perfect shot of us paragliding through the sky that we forget how blessed we are in the first place to be soaring above a breath-taking island for only a half hour. Take a few quick photos and videos, then LET IT BE. Chances are, one out of the 47 (I just showed three to keep you all sane) pictures you took in front of the Platform 9 3/4 sign are profile picture worthy. I do have to put in a shameless plug for my Google Glass blog post as this would signifcantly reduce the time it takes to whip out your camera and set-up the perfect shot.





5. Do your research before you spur of the moment go somewhere. Make sure you have your Visa before you fly into Vietnam and get temporarily detained in a government hotel, know your Bed and Breakfast Address before you enter England and get questioned by London Authorities, and make sure you know the laws for what you can and cannot have in public plazas in Madrid. That being said, save time to just explore the new city you're in. Wander around, talk to locals, and chill by a river in Porto for hours on end basking in the sun. Most of us only get a little precious time in each place we visit- make the most of it!



6. Finally, utilize the technology available to you! I could've avoided carrying extra toilet paper in my purse from being used to Spanish public restrooms not having any. I could've stayed clear from nasty hostels, saved more money, saved more time by going through the "local" entrance of an exhibit, checked into my locations and mapped out my travels for easier blog writing, and saved myself a third-degree burn in the Canary Islands. Technology can really make a huge impact on your travels- please take my word for it! :)

15 comments:

  1. You are full of great advice! Thanks for all of the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travel tips are great

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Harry Potter pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have had some great experience s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! I'll definitely use your blog for my trip to China!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done an awesome job on these blogs! Thanks for sharing with those of us that are "tech-illiterate"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like u learned lots of "life lessons" on your trip... adda girl bailey

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I read your blogs, I have decided if I take a trip outside the US, you will be my travel guide. Well done Bean!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I researched the British Isles before spending 10 weeks there back in 1971. Some of the people I talked to were surprised I was American, because they saw very few Americans in the smaller towns I visited all over England, Scotland & Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I ever go to Europe or foreign lands I want you to go with me...many good ideas, tips etc. and down to earth ideas on how to travel. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed your blogs and information, Miss Bailey. I learned so much and can't wait to use the apps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job, Bailey! And now, on to the next great adventure! Kathy Hildebrand

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great, Bails. Very good tips! I like that you put a personal spin on them!

    ReplyDelete